Wednesday, July 06, 2011

2.


     Every 4th of July my family would go to my father's side camp down on the river. This year, neither my sister nor my father wanted to go. Maybe it is a desperate attempt to hold on to prematurely fading youthful ignorance, but I like the 'tradition' of the holidays. I like to see the people, I like to go to their homes. As I grow, I realize that people do many things with little joy and vacant smiles. They get together on the 4th of July not because they want to, but because they have to. This may be the one of the most childish things I've ever said, but if all adulthood is, is because-you-have-to and never because-you-want-to, then I do not want to grow up.  And I don't mean work, I know that we all must work, I mean living. I have come to realize that I don't think I know many truly happy adults. Am I diluted to think that people can be happy? I really hope the real world does not suck as much as I think it does. 
I love the holidays. 

and my dad washes his dog in the river. I don't think that's legal but hey - this is New Hampshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment